Thursday, May 5, 2011

Alchemy...


For DKM...

Prepare about 1.5kgs of fruit (you can do more but it makes the straining more difficult). Cut up the quinces (I quarter them) and include cores and skin. Just cover with water and add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice (helps with setting). Cook in a covered pan until completely pulped (I complete the pulping with a potato masher). Strain through a jelly bag (my bag is made from two old tea towels stitched together). Measure juice and allow ¾ cup of sugar to 1 cup of juice. Heat juice to boiling point. Remove from heat and stir in juice until dissolved. Return to heat and boil briskly until setting point is reached (I use the ‘drip’ test – when the drips from the stirring spoon begin to merge). Skim to remove scum (I don’t bother).  Pour at once into sterilised jars. And gloat – or despair.

Store somewhere earthquake-proof.

I eat mine on toast.


2 comments:

  1. I'm honored to have your recipe, complete with personal tips---and to have scored a post in my name :-). So much more meaningful than finding a generic recipe online, though I looked for one after you first wrote about your quinces.

    Now I can't wait till our quinces are ready for harvest. I think ours come in late summer (Aug or Sep?), though I've always left them for the squirrels and haven't paid much attention to their schedule. Had no idea one could make jelly of them. I have four bushes, three with white blossoms, one with red blossoms. Have only ever seen fruit on the red one---and those were hard green sour numbers, nothing like the beauties in your basket. I can't imagine they will make the beautiful red jelly in your jars---but I intend to try it and let you know!

    Where two or three are gathered, sooner or later, a recipe will be shared :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quinces really do sound very different from ours. Yours sound more like what we would term crab apples.

    I am a nervous and incompetent cook but I love preserving in any form...

    ReplyDelete