Saturday, July 27, 2013

A walk along the foreshore track...

After all the recent rain we've had a spell of crisp, sunny, winter days. Yesterday I went for a walk around the foreshore track, somewhat altered by two large slips - evidence of the constant movement of land in this part of the world. When I go walking I always take a small pack. It leaves home empty but always returns with treasure. The foraging instinct is strong and very satisfying!

Yesterday's treasure included silver beet for the chooks. This grows prolifically along the waterfront. I don't know whether it results in pre-salted eggs, but the chooks love it.




Then there was the rock - from the several rockfalls around the track. Amazing how heavy rock is. I can only carry one small chunk at a time. So the edging I am developing is very slow in the making.  Nevertheless it feels good to take something that is surplus to requirements (and free) and put it to use.


Ever since I moved to Governors Bay I've picked up old pieces of china in the tidal zones. After heavy rains, the areas where creeks wash into the sea are particularly productive. I love the hint of pattern, the tantalising glimpses of past lives. It's like finding precious little jewels. Most exciting is spotting a plain sliver of china and turning it over to find - occasionally - a glorious design.  Yesterday's discoveries...


There was more. I'm not sure what this little container would have been used for. It was full of mud and I've yet to clean it out properly. But so satisfying!!


19 comments:

  1. What fun! An honest to goodness treasure hunt. I hope you are creating some art from the china pieces. Silver beet is new to me. Looks like it could be good in a salad. Is it edible for humans? Salty tasting? Grows wild?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some time ago I tried making broaches from some of the china pieces Deb - but they were a bit heavy for the clasps I had. I should make something...

    Silver beet is a winter staple - for humans - here. Like spinach but the leaves are larger and a bit coarser. Most people who have a vege garden would grow it. The plants around the foreshore are growing wild but they must be garden escapees. No not salty tasting, normally. The hens love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they call silver beet 'swiss chard' over where you are Deb?

      You would love foraging here Jane, We're always digging up bits of crockery and strange wee bottles.

      Delete
    2. I would Niki. When I was small mum and dad used to dig up all sorts of bits and pieces in our garden - it was built on the site of old stables. Even though I helped a lot in the garden as a child and teenager I never dug up ANYTHING exciting :( Think I've been making up for it ever since...

      Delete
    3. Oh! Is that what it is? Yes! We eat it all the time:-). Language is so amazing.

      Delete
    4. Why the reference to pre salted eggs? I can be slow on the uptake!

      Delete
    5. Silver beet by the sea...salty silver beet...ingested by hens = pre-salted eggs!!! My feeble attempt at a joke :)

      Delete
    6. hehehe oh. I didnt get it either Deb :D

      It's like feeding the pigs apples ... ;)

      Delete
    7. apple flavoured pork ... (apple sauce!) hehe

      Speaking of pork ... Honey has gone into labour :D

      Delete
    8. I'm chuckling as I read this. Moe says, "What?" I try to explain, but can't for laughing. He doesn't see the humor. Some people just can't appreciate a good salty joke.

      Delete
  3. Sounds a fun walk. Buried treasure is great - we once helped some friends who lived off Fitzgerald Ave with digging trenches for a garage extension and hit the rubbish pile of an old colonial house. Blue glass bottles, stout bottles and best of all a little silver mounted pounamu charm from a watch fob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Marion. Do you or your friends still have the bottles and charm?

      Delete
  4. Good huntn' Tex ! Maybe the glass bowl is for an ink pot/well out of a school desk ?
    I found the spoon part of a teaspoon, with many drainage holes and looks like it might be silver . :) Oh such fun ! :) Blue is a lovely colour for a bottle isn't it ? Same with crockery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have more blue-patterned pieces of china from the foreshore than any other colour. Could be an inkwell - I must have another good look, do a Sherlock Holmes...

      Delete
  5. Does the rusted out lid of a garbage can count? People tell me they find arrowheads of native Cherokee, but I've never been so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Jane .. hope you have a lovely relaxing day and look forward to catching up soon.

    Love Geoff :o)>

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is great to have visited your website. Thanks for sharing useful information. And also visit my website about health. God willing it will be useful too


    Obat Sakit Tumit yang Ampuh
    Cara Menghilangkan Tinnitus/Telinga Berdenging

    ReplyDelete
  8. untuk para pemula/ orang awam pastinya saat pertama kali bermain poker online akan merasa bingung, dan berpikir jika bermain poker hanya soal keberuntungan, padahal bukan. Bermain dengan uang asli lah yang dapat memberikan anda keuntungan, apalagi bermain di situs yang tepat dan memanjakan pemainnya https://www.unab.edu.ar/index.php/foros/profile/daftaridnpokeronline/

    ReplyDelete