Monday, June 7, 2010

A sad tribute...

Two posts ago I expressed my constant delight in this Sumner garage mural. Now I think I may have discovered its creator under the most tragic circumstances. It is a somewhat convoluted story. Gloria was a cheerful and treasured neighbour and friend in Governors Bay, through whom I met  brother Bruce and Bruce's partner Halina. Gloria tragically died of cancer last year http://headoftheharbour.blogspot.com/2009/04/gloria.html.

Two days ago I learned that Bruce had committed suicide. At his huge farewell service yesterday, friends made reference to Bruce's habit of painting garage doors. The more that was said, the more convinced I was that this must be Bruce's work. What a devastating coincidence that I should post about this wonderful mural just days before its maker took his life. So this post is to say thank you to both Gloria and Bruce for making this world a sunnier, quirkier place and to Halina for her devoted support of both.
The entrance to Gloria's house.

2 comments:

  1. This is so sad. I don't know how I didn't hear, but what devasting news. RIP Bruce. You were a lovely generous friend, and a generous lover of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob. Your sentiments echo those I heard at Bruce's farewell.

    ReplyDelete